My Shopping List
Most Recent Items:
Individual Sweet Potato Breakfast Pizzas
Courtesy of North Carolina Sweet Potato Commission
Prep Time: 15 Min.
Cook Time: 90 Min.
What you need:
(click + to add ingredients to your shopping list)
+ 2 large sweet potatoes (you'll end up using 1 c. puree and 2 c. diced)
+ 1 Tbsp. olive oil + 1 tsp. for drizzling
+ 1/4 tsp. garlic powder/granulated garlic
+ 1/4 tsp. onion powder/granulated onion
+ 1/4 tsp. paprika
+ 2 pinches cayenne pepper
+ 1 lb. whole wheat pizza dough, at room temperature, divided into 4 equal portions
+ flour, for rolling out dough
+ 1 c. freshly shredded gouda cheese
+ 4 large eggs
+ kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
+ 1/4 c. diced chives
What to do:
1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Place one whole sweet potato directly on the rack and bake until very soft, about 1 hr. Remove from oven and let cool for 5-10 min. before peeling and pureeing flesh in a food processor until smooth. Spoon out 1 c. to use as a pizza "sauce" (reserve any remaining puree for another use).
2. Increase oven heat to 450°F. Peel remaining sweet potato and cut into 1/2-in. dice. Toss 2 c. of the diced sweet potatoes (reserve any remaining for another use) with 1 Tbsp olive oil, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, cayenne, and salt & pepper to taste; place in an even layer on a baking sheet. Roast, stirring once, until softened but not yet crisp, about 15-20 min. (they will continue to cook when baked on the pizza). Remove roasted sweet potato cubes from the oven.
3. Lightly flour a clean, flat work surface. Roll each ball of dough out to about 1/4-in. thickness (about 7 in. in diameter). Transfer to a rimless baking sheet lightly coated with 1 tsp olive oil.
4. Spread 1/4 c. of the pureed sweet potato flesh evenly over the surface of each dough round, leaving about a 1/2-in. border. Top each sweet potato-coated dough circle with 1/4 c. shredded gouda, followed by 1/2 c. of the roasted sweet potato cubes. Carefully crack one egg on top of the sweet potato cubes in the center of each pizza.
5. Bake pizzas at 450°F for 8 min. Carefully remove the baking sheet from underneath the pizzas, and continue to cook - directly on the oven rack - until the crusts are golden brown on the bottom, the cheese is melted, and the egg whites are fully set, about 2-4 additional min. Carefully remove pizzas from oven with a pizza peel and let cool 2 min. before serving.
6. Season to taste with salt and pepper and top each individual pizza with 1 Tbsp diced chives.
* Adapted from Healthy Food for Living blog, Finalist in 2012 No More 'Mallows Contest
Calories: 555; Total Fat: 20g; Saturated Fat: 7g; Fiber: 11g; Protein: 23g;