My Shopping List
Most Recent Items:
Courtesy of Idaho Potato Commission
Prep Time: 20 Min.
Cook Time: 2 1/2 Hrs.
What you need:
(click + to add ingredients to your shopping list)
*2 lbs. boneless blade steaks (6 lamb shoulder chops can be substituted)
+ 2 lbs. Idaho Potatoes (4 med. potatoes) peeled and sliced 1/4-inch thick
+ 3 c. onions, peeled, cut in half and thinly sliced
+ 2 c. carrots, peeled and cut into 1-inch lengths
+ 12 sprigs fresh thyme, or 1 1/2 tsp. dry thyme
+ salt to taste
+ fresh ground black pepper to taste
+ 12 oz. prepared beef broth
+ 3 Tbsp. flour
+ fresh chopped parsley
What to do:
1. Preheat the oven to 350° F.
2. On the bottom of a 3-quart casserole dish or heavy pot with a lid, spread half the potatoes, onions and carrots. Season heavily with salt and pepper. Top with 6 sprigs of fresh thyme or 3/4 tsp. of dry thyme. Place the blade steaks or chops on top of the vegetables. Top the meat with the remaining potatoes, onions and carrots. Season well with more salt and pepper. Top with remaining dry thyme.
3. Cover the stew with the beef broth and enough cold water to barely cover the top layer of vegetables in the pot. Place the lid on the pot and cook for 2 1/2 hrs. until the meat and potatoes are fork tender.
4. To serve, remove the meat, potatoes, and vegetables from the pot. Discard the thyme stalks if using fresh thyme.
5. In a small bowl, blend 3 Tbsp. of flour with enough water to make a smooth paste. With a wire whisk, blend the flour mixture into the hot broth. Stir well to dissolve the mixture. Place the pot on the stove and bring to a boil. Cook the sauce for 3 to 4 min. until thickened. Season with salt and pepper.
6. To serve, place the potatoes, vegetables and a piece of meat on plates or in large bowls. Top with sauce and garnish with fresh chopped parsley.
Calories: 472; Total Fat: 17g; Saturated Fat: 7g; Cholesterol: 112mg; Total Carbs: 42g; Protein: 38g; Sodium: 492mg;