My Shopping List
Most Recent Items:
Old-Fashioned Doughnuts (Gluten-Free)
Courtesy of Gluten Intolerance Group
Prep Time: n/a
Cook Time: n/a
What you need:
(click + to add ingredients to your shopping list)
+ 2 eggs, beaten
+ 2 c. buttermilk
+ 1/4 c. butter, melted
+ 5 c. gluten-free flour blend **
+ 1 c. sugar
+ 2 tsp. baking soda
+ 1 tsp. baking powder
+ 2 tsp. salt
+ 2 tsp. xanthan gum
+ 1 tsp. nutmeg
*+ Brown Rice Flour Blend
+ 1 1/3 c. brown rice flour
+ 7 Tbsp. potato starch
+ 3 1/2 Tbsp. tapioca flour
*+ For 1 1/2 cup gluten-free flour blend:
+ 1/2 c. rice flour
+ 1/2 c. cornstarch
+ 1/2 c. tapioca starch/flour
+ 1 Tbsp. potato flour
What to do:
1. Combine eggs, buttermilk, and melted butter in a large bowl. Mix well with a wire whisk or fork.
2. Combine dry ingredients in a separate bowl and add to the wet. Mix by hand with a large spoon. (Do not use an electric mixer).
3. Let batter rest about 15 minutes. Turn dough onto a well-floured surface. If dough is sticky, work in more rice flour blend.
4. Roll dough 3/8" thick. Cut with doughnut cutter. (We used a large rimmed cup to cut the doughnuts and the lid to the oil bottle to cut the doughnut holes.)
5. Fry in 1 to 3 inches of very hot oil (375°F) until brown on one side. Turn donuts over and brown on second side.
Dip warm doughnuts into a bowl of very thin glaze made from 2 cups powdered sugar and 2/3 cup milk.
CHOCOLATE ICED DOUGHNUTS:
Melt Chocolate Frosting in a microwave safe bowl. Dip top half of unglazed doughnuts in frosting and let cool.
* Courtesy of: Gluten Intolerance Group
Visit www.gluten.org to learn more about gluten intolerance