My Shopping List
Most Recent Items:
Carrot Muffins (Gluten-Free)
Courtesy of Gluten Intolerance Group
Prep Time: 20 Min.
Cook Time: 8 Min.
Marinate: 20 Min.
What you need:
(click + to add ingredients to your shopping list)
+ 1 can crushed pineapple (divided into crushed pineapple and juice)
+ 4 tsp. whole Salba seeds (a type of chia seed)
+ 1 c. brown rice flour
+ 1/2 c. sorghum flour (or teff flour)
+ 1/2 c. arrowroot starch
+ 2 tsp. baking soda
+ 4 tsp. baking powder
+ 1/2 tsp. salt
+ 1/2 tsp. each ginger and allspice
+ 1 tsp. cinnamon
+ 1/4 tsp. nutmeg
(or substitute all 2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice for all of the spices)
+ 2 Tbsp. oil
+ 1/2 c. agave nectar
+ 2 Tbsp. molasses (or 2 more Tbsp. agave nectar)
+ 1/2 c. crushed pineapple (drained from the same can as the juice)
+ 1/2 c. packed finely grated carrots (approx. 5 carrots)
+ 2/3-1 c. nuts: brazil nuts, macadamias, or walnuts work well (or use a combination of nuts, raisins, and/or chopped crystallized ginger for people who enjoy a little kick)
+ 3 Tbsp. powdered sugar
+ 2 tsp. orange or pineapple juice
What to do:
1. Preheat oven to 350ºF. Put muffin cups into muffin tin or grease tins, or grease baby bundt pans.
2. Drain 1/2 cup of pineapple juice into a small bowl and add the Salba seeds to the juice. Set aside for 20 minutes. Reserve crushed pineapple.
3. Combine dry ingredients, leaveners and spices and mix thoroughly. Chop nuts and add to dry ingredients. Grate carrots finely. Combine agave, molasses, oil thoroughly, then add carrots, 1/2 cup of crushed pineapple and Salba gel.
4. Mix wet and dry until just incorporated. Pour into muffin tins or baby bundt pans until they are 2/3 of the way full.
5. Bake for 8-10 minutes or until browned on top. Cool on wire rack and turn out after 5 minutes.
6. Make glaze: Add juice to powdered sugar, 1/2 teaspoon at a time until it is a pourable consistency. Glaze while muffins are warm, but not just out of the oven. A little goes a long way.
* Courtesy of: Gluten Intolerance Group
Visit www.gluten.org to learn more about gluten intolerance