My Shopping List
Most Recent Items:
Simple Vietnamese Pork Noodle Bowl
Courtesy of National Pork Board
Prep Time: 20 Min.
Cook Time: 35 Min.
What you need:
(click + to add ingredients to your shopping list)
+ 1 1/4 lb. pork tenderloin, trimmed and cut into 1/4-in. slices
+ 12 oz. rice noodles *
+ 4 c. coleslaw mix, prepared *
+ 1/4 red onion, thinly sliced
+ 4 1/2 c. chicken broth, reduced-sodium
+ 4 1/2 tsp. fish sauce *
+ 1 tsp. soy sauce, reduced-sodium
+ 2 Tbsp. canola oil, or other neutral-flavored oil
+ 1/4 c. basil leaves, fresh, thinly sliced
+ 1 lime, cut into 6 wedges
+ You can find rice noodles and fish sauce in the ethnic or Asian section of most major supermarkets. You can find prepared slaw mix, typically a combination of green cabbage, red cabbage, and carrot, in the produce section of most major supermarkets.
What to do:
1. Prepare the noodles according to package directions. Arrange the noodles in 6 serving bowls. Top with the slaw mix and onion and set aside.
2. While the noodles are cooking, in a medium saucepan, combine the chicken broth, fish sauce, and soy sauce and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat to very low, to keep the broth just below a simmer.
3. In a very large skillet over medium-high heat, warm the oil. Add the pork and cook until browned and pork reaches an internal temperature of 145°F, 1-2 min. per side (you may have to do this in batches). Let stand at room temperature for 3 min.
4. Arrange the pork on top of the noodle bowls. Ladle in the piping-hot broth, garnish with the basil and lime wedges, and serve.
* You can vary this pho-inspired noodle bowl by changing the vegetables and garnishes--try thinly sliced mushrooms, thinly sliced bell peppers or chiles, bean sprouts, cilantro or mint leaves, scallions, or crushed red pepper flakes. If you like, serve additional fish sauce and soy sauce, plus chili sauce, at the table so guests can adjust the bowls to their tastes.
* Recipe and photo courtesy of National Pork Board. For more recipes visit:
Calories: 380; Total Fat: 7g; Saturated Fat: 1g; Cholesterol: 60mg; Total Carbs: 54g; Fiber: 2g; Protein: 23g; Sodium: 860mg;